© 2019 Because it Looks Kool Photography by Brandon L. Khoury

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon

The Swan House was built in 1928 for Edward and Emily Inman in Atlanta, Georgia. The Inmans had accumulated wealth from cotton brokerage and investments in transportation, banking and real estate. After their house in Ansley Park burned in 1924, the Inmans commissioned the Atlanta architectural firm of Hentz, Reid and Adler to design a new house in on 28 acres (110,000 m2) in Buckhead, a northern Atlanta community. The new mansion's design was executed by Philip Trammell Shutze, combining Renaissance revival styles with a Classical approach on the main facade. The rear facade is less formal, and is sited at the top of a small hill with terraced gardens and a fountain cascading down the hillside. A recurring motif are sculpted or painted swans throughout the house and grounds.

 

Architect Philip T. Shutze designed Swan House and its gardens, as well as many other important buildings in the city. He graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology, Columbia School of Architecture, and the American Academy in Rome, Italy.

 

Edward Inman died in 1931, but Emily collected her family into the house and lived there until 1965. The house and grounds were acquired by the Atlanta Historical Society in 1966. The house is operated as part of the Atlanta History Center and is maintained as a 1920s and 1930s historic house museum, with many of the Inmans' original furnishings.

 

(Wikipedia)

Swan House- SWNH05

Print Type
Size